WinFred MPO Transit Feasibility Study
The Winchester-Frederick County Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) planning area includes the City of Winchester, the Town of Stephens City, the Urbanized Area of Frederick County, and the area of Frederick County expected to be urbanized by the year 2045. The only current public transportation program operating within the MPO area is Winchester Transit (WinTran), a service of the City of Winchester. There have been efforts in the past to explore additional public transportation services for areas outside of the City of Winchester, but none have come to fruition.
The current Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) includes a project requested by the Town of Stephens City to explore the feasibility of providing transit services within the Town of Stephens City in coordination with the existing City of Winchester transit program (WinTran), including potential service to LRCC. The WinFred MPO Policy Board recently indicated that they would like to see this study expanded to include the entire MPO planning area.
Benefits of Study Recommendations
- There is a need to develop a public transportation link between the Town of Stephens City and LRCC.
- There is a need for public transportation access for the commercial areas in the U.S. Route 50 area, just west of the City of Winchester. There is a Walmart Supercenter in this area, as well as other businesses.
- There are significant employment destinations in the Kernstown area, which is located along U.S. Route 11, south of the City of Winchester.
- Study Kick-Off Meeting was held March 28, 2023
- Public survey conducted through June 16, 2023